Sunday, October 18, 2009

Military Museum

This is one of three posts today. Be sure to check them all out!

Today's adventure involved climbing El Morro, the cliff that juts out of the ocean on the coast of Arica, and on top of El Morro is the Military Museum and Memorial. El Morro is the site of a great battle amongst Peru, Chile, and Bolivia over land now controlled by Peru and Chile. The Battle of El Morro was a huge victory for Chile and has been memorialized by the Chilean government in the museum that now sits on the site of the battle.














El Morro is also the site of Chinchorro burials, although these are not featured at this site but at another museum being constructed. It is our hope to visit it sometime as an invitation has been extended, but it's only open for VIP visitors during the week, which is when we work. Two months to go so hopefully we'll be able to squeeze in a visit.

3 comments:

tormentaelectrica said...

I still can't believe that you walked up the morro... or did you cheat? :P

It's a nice view from up there, we should go one night, it's pretty (:

H. Batz said...

Yes, I climbed up the Morro, but on Sunday instead of Saturday. I walked up Colon to the base of the trail and thought it was a bit to sketchy so I decided not to attempt it in my sandals. Plus, there were some weird people abound and I really didn't want to deal with them. And climbing up wasn't as bad as going down. That was terrifying!

And we should definitely go at night. I've seen pics of the city scape at night. :)

And the U does go up there, so we can cheat if you'd prefer.

H. Batz said...

Yes, I climbed up the Morro, but on Sunday instead of Saturday. I walked up Colon to the base of the trail and thought it was a bit to sketchy so I decided not to attempt it in my sandals. Plus, there were some weird people abound and I really didn't want to deal with them. And climbing up wasn't as bad as going down. That was terrifying!

And we should definitely go at night. I've seen pics of the city scape at night. :)

And the U does go up there, so we can cheat if you'd prefer.